CSC Reports FY 2016 Annual Corporate Responsibility Progress
“As a global IT solutions and services provider, CSC helps our clients on their digital transformation journeys, which in turn enables them to deliver enormous benefit to their employees and customers, the environment and the communities they serve,” said Mike Lawrie, chairman, president and chief executive officer, CSC. “Together with our clients and partners we are committed to sustainable, forward-thinking business practices that build upon the momentum for positive social, economic and environmental outcomes.”
CSC focuses its corporate responsibility efforts in five areas: Environment, Clients, Employees, Community and Governance. CSC reported progress in all five categories in FY 2016.
Findings of CSC’s annual corporate responsibility and sustainability report include:
Environment – CSC and its clients are investing in and applying next-generation cloud services and solutions that are helping to reduce energy consumption. The company’s smart grid and smart meter solutions make energy distribution systems increasingly reliable and sustainable by gathering and applying business intelligence with automated tools. Our telepresence services harness immersive videoconferencing for ‘face-to-face’ meetings worldwide, reducing fossil-fuel use and travel costs.
CSC continues to address its own operational environmental impact and reported solid progress:
- 14.6 percent absolute energy reduction against a 2012 baseline, on track to achieve 20 percent reduction by 2018;
- 14.3 percent global greenhouse gas reduction against the 2012 baseline and remain on track to reach 18 percent reduction target by 2018; and
- Now achieving zero waste to landfill globally for disposal of CSC electronic waste products.
Employees – In FY 2016, CSC employees completed almost one million hours of training in next-generation technology skills and in-demand certifications, representing an annual training increase of 14 percent. More than 10,000 CSC technologists completed individual development plans that are enabling them to hone skills in next-generation solutions across big data and analytics, cybersecurity, the Internet of Things, DevOps/automation, mobility, cloud and social media.
CSC was named a 2016 Top Military Friendly Employer, (ranking first in the IT industry), as well as a 2016 Top Military Spouse Friendly Employer. CSC’s Military Recruitment Program provides military-affiliated job seekers one-on-one assistance and career coaching. The program offers an online Skills Translator that instantly matches candidates’ military job title and specialties with CSC career opportunities.
Community – CSC’s charitable foundation aligned its philanthropy and community investment strategy to business priorities and focused community investments in several areas:
- Science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) education efforts were focused on organizations like FutureVersity and FIRST Robotics to help prepare young people for work in the global economy to strengthen the next-generation IT workforce that powers CSC’s business and gives rise to innovative ideas that can help change the world;
- People and wellness concentrated on supporting veterans, individuals with disabilities and needy children around the globe through groups like Operation Smile and Best Buddies International. By reaching out to help the most vulnerable around the world, CSC is demonstrating a commitment to transforming lives; and
- Disaster relief centered on assisting communities struck by trauma and crises through the Red Cross and Doctors Without Borders. By donating funds and enabling employees to support relief efforts such as delivering food and emergency supplies, CSC is directly impacting those affected by devastating natural disasters.
Governance – Since the company’s first submission to Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) G4 in 2014, CSC continues to apply significant focus to strengthening the accuracy of global environmental, social and governance metrics and improving our transparency of sustainability reporting.
For the second year, CSC participated in the Dow Jones Sustainability Index, which evaluates the performance of the largest 2,500 companies listed on the Dow Jones Global Total Stock Market Index. CSC also maintained ISO 27001 Information Security Management certifications and met strict regulatory requirements for information assurance protecting sensitive stakeholder data.
Awards and Recognition – CSC is among 27 leading organizations selected to receive the “2016 Leading Disability Employer Seal”™ from the National Organization on Disability (NOD). CSC also received the top score of 100 on the 2016 Disability Equality Index® (DEI®), receiving the designation of “2016 DEI Best Places to Work.”
CSC was ranked 13th in the Top 100 Best Corporate Citizens for 2016 by CR Magazine, which is a 22-point improvement in just one year. For the sixth consecutive year, CSC was listed in the FTSE4Good Index Series, an equity index series that is designed to facilitate investment in companies that meet globally recognized corporate responsibility standards.